The Person to Person Project dates back to Club year 1974-1975 when Jan Hemphill was President of the Altrusa Club of Dallas. This was a project born of need and met with compassion when a request for help came to the club and there was no project to cover the request. The request came from Marjorie Hall, a member of the Altrusa Club of Mesquite, on behalf of Cora Case, a patient of the doctor Marjorie worked for. Ms Case was a diabetic, recovering from open heart surgery. She was unable to work, had an open chest wound, and had been robbed. The club provided her with food, clothes, and got her moved into a Dallas Housing Project near Baylor Hospital, where the rent was affordable to her and where she could have some protection. We had locks put on her doors, bought her a window cooler, collected furniture for her and had a phone installed. We continued to follow her for several years, meeting other needs from time to time. Ms Case died around 1981. The project was handled thusly:
- The need was investigated and presented to the Board of Directors.
- The Board voted to meet the need and cash funds were taken from Ways & Means.
- Donations of food and clothing were made by individual members.
Club Year 1976 – 1977In Club year 1976-1977 the Person to Person Project was co-chaired by Jane MacWilliams and Marguerite Ray. The project that year consisted of:
- Additional dental work for Cecelia May – $245
- Maureen Topley, a 16 year old with a two-month old infant – $75 for tuition, laboratory fee and tools for an upholstery course at North Dallas Highschool to enable her to support her family
- Anne Ritchie – $27.23 for purchase of a toaster oven. She was handicapped, in renal failure, and needed to be able to cook for herself.
- Dessie Marie Oliver – $100 for tuition and books for A.D. Nursing Course, El Centro.
- Mrs Joyce Morgan – $144.70 for purchase and installation of an evaporation cooler needed by her 12 year old son, a baldy burned victim.
- Tein Lam, a Vietnamese nursing student, $200 for tuition at El Centro College.